Athletics Code of Conduct
Every time you put on a PHS uniform you represent yourself, your family, your coach, your team and your school. How you behave during practice and games will be seen by other teams, coaches and fans. You are, in essence, an ambassador for our school and it is very important to us that you conduct yourself in both your student role and athlete role in the best possible manner. Below you will find a list of expectations to which all PHS student athletes must adhere. Please read them carefully and understand that when you sign the Athlethic contract you have agreed to honour all your obligations as a member of a PHS Athletic Team. Failure to do so may have implications back at PHS with future teams, use of facilities and involvement in other PHS activities.
- You are expected to attend 100 % of all games and practices. Appointments etc.. should be scheduled outside of your practice/game schedule (if at all possible) If for any reason you cannot attend a practice/game you must personally speak to your coach before your absence. Missing practices &/or games may definitely result in reduction or loss of playing time.
- You are expected to be in full 100 % attendance at school at all times. If you skip a class during the day you are not allowed to participate in the next practice/game. Repeat offences may result in a more serious penalty.
- Once you have made the team (in other words you have been selected over other hopefuls) you may not quit the team without the coach’s permission. If you quit after this time you may be ineligible to try out for other WCSSAA sports teams (in any school) for one full year. Any fees paid may be NON-REFUNDABLE depending on the time you leave the team and the circumstances.
- If you are ill or have appointments during the school day you must attend half of your classes to be eligible to practice or play in games on that day.
- You must/should travel to games on the bus. You are a team!! Coaches often use the bus ride to discuss strategy and this is when team bonding occurs – use the bus ride to get motivated against your opponent. If driving is needed on occasion – speak to your coach about these arrangements.
- Athletes may be picked up at games by their parents. No athlete will be allowed to travel with anyone other than their parent if they do not return form IS-04-F02 (permission to travel in volunteer driven vehicles)
- ALL PHS STUDENT ATHLETES MUST HAVE A VALID STUDENT ACTIVITY CARD.
- ALL PHS STUDENT ATHLETES MUST PAY THE REQUIRED TEAM FEE AND ANY ADDITIONAL FEES BEFORE THEY RECEIVE ANY UNIFORM/EQUIPMENT AND PLAY IN ANY EXHIBITION OR LEAGUE GAME.
- Any student who is suspended for any reason may face additional penalties on their team.
- Digital Citizenship. All pictures or comments that you post on social media are your responsibility and you are liable for any repercussions. Parents, Athletes, and Coaches from both PHS and other schools regularly see what you post. If there are any complaints about any of your pictures/comments in any of your accounts you must deal with it in a conscientious and responsible manner. If you fail to do so in a timely or appropriate manner, you may be asked to leave a team and/or be prevented from participating in any PHS extra-curricular clubs or programs.
All student athletes should strive to:
- Be a responsible student, a good school citizen and a dedicated team member
- Be polite, respectful, helpful and a good role model to others
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times and team pride
- Understand that winning is desirable but really in sport playing your best is all we can really do!
- Be gracious in both winning and losing
- Be respectful of officials at all times
- Understand that the only way to play the game is fairly and cleanly