October 18th, 2022
Information Regarding the 2022 Fall Writing of the Literacy Test for Preston Students
On Tuesday, November 23rd AND Wednesday, November 24th any Grade 11 or 12 student who was previously eligible, but has not yet written the test or who has not yet been successful, will be writing the Ontario Secondary Schools Literacy Test (OSSLT). Students must successfully complete this literacy requirement for the granting of their Ontario Secondary School Diploma. All current Grade 10 students will be writing the OSSLT in the spring of 2023. All sessions of the OSSLT this year will be a regular school day, with a regular schedule for all other students.
Key Dates to Note:
- Oct. 19 – Nov. 2: Grade 11 and 12 students needing to write the test will be contacted by their Guidance counsellor.
- Nov. 7: An information and tips video will be posted in Grade 11 and 12 Google Classrooms with important instructions and preparation options. The slide deck will also be posted on the PHS Main site under “OSSLT Preparation Materials”
- Nov. 9 & 10: (Instructional Support Days) Students writing the test are encouraged to explore practice materials found on the OSSLT Website during their asynchronous learning blocks.
- Nov. 16 & 17: Optional Drop-in sessions for additional support or preparation will be available in room 114 at lunch.
- Nov. 23 & 24: Grade 11 and 12 students writing the test will report to the library at 10:45am on both days to complete the online test. Each session is 60 mins, but students may take up to 120 mins to complete each booklet.
How can I help my student prepare for the OSSLT?
Before the Test
- Encourage your student to view the information video and participate in the preparation offered by the school.
- Encourage your student to review the format and tools available by previewing the practice test HERE.
- Students eligible for special accommodations will be contacted by the Special Education Department in advance of the test. If this applies to your student, encourage them to reach out to Preston’s Special Education Department.
The Day of the Test
- Remind your student to be on time. (10:45 am in the library on each day)
- Remind your student to eat lunch before the test.
- Ensure your student has a fully charged and working WRDSB Chromebook.
- Encourage your student to take the full amount of allotted time, each booklet is designed to take 60 minutes, but students are allowed to use up to 120 minutes to complete each booklet.
- Encourage students to reread and check their work.
- Some students may want to bring a mouse or headphones.
- Encourage your student to do their best.
Parents and students interested in learning more about the OSSLT are invited to visit the EQAO website at https://www.eqao.com/the-assessments/osslt/. If you have any further questions please contact your Guidance counselor or Vice Principal.