OPENING THE DOORS TO YOUR FUTURE
We offer an exciting and distinctive approach to learning which focuses on academic diversity and excellence in all areas of student life.
We emphasize the following 21st Century Competencies in the core subjects:
- Problem Solving & Critical Thinking
- Innovation & Creativity
- Learning To Learn
- Global Citizenship
These skills will be further developed through a variety of enhancements which may include experiences such as field trips, leadership workshops, contests, conferences, service & volunteerism — all enriching your high school experience.
With like-minded students who encourage, challenge and inspire you, you will have the opportunity to:
- Compete in math contests
- Achieve proficiency in French language (diplôme en français, langue seconde, DELF)
- Interact with leaders in science and technology community
- Have the opportunity to pursue Advanced Placement (AP) credits
- Lead extra-curricular initiatives
- Collaborate with the greater PHS community
By providing challenging academics, developing creativity and encouraging out-of-the-box thinking, in the Enhanced program, you will collaborate with like-minded students to investigate, explore, and excel, taking risks and developing advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills.
Start to prepare now!
Both of the forms below must be completed for application to the Enhanced program. Students are required to complete their Self-Assessment and their Portfolio (see instructions within the application). A Grade 8 teacher must complete the Teacher Reference form online. Applications will be accessible starting on December 1, 2020.
Application checklist. Please be sure to have the following completed/ready for a full application:
- Online Enhanced Program Application for 2021-2022 School Year (completed by applicant)
- Grade 7 Final Report Card (Scan and e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Online Grade Eight Teacher Reference for 2021-2022 School Year (completed by current teacher)
- FAQ’s about the Enhanced Program
- Hard Copy Enhanced Program Application for 2021-2022 School Year
- Hard Copy Grade Eight Teacher Reference for 2021-2022 School Year
Dates to Remember:
- Tuesday, January 12, 2021: Applications Due to PHS
- Friday, February 12, 2021: Successful Candidates Will Be Notified via E-mail
- Friday, February 19, 2021: Deadline for Successful Candidates to Accept/Decline Offer
*Please note that the previous dates of Jan. 28 and Feb. 4, 2021 have been revised to the new information above by the school board.
WHY CHOOSE PHS ENHANCED?
The PHS enhanced program focuses on developing 21st Century Global competencies, as well as promoting a well-rounded high school experience for your student. This program will help to prepare your son/daughter for:
- Learning in today’s world.
- Post-secondary opportunities (university, college, scholarships).
- Stress, anxiety, and time management.
- A growth mindset.
Credit Accumulation: We offer Enhanced Credits in the following subjects:
|Grade 9||Grade 10||Grade 11||Grade 12|
Workshop Participation: Students in the Enhanced Program will participate in workshops designed to develop 21st century competencies. Topics may include exam preparation, stress/anxiety management, problem solving, guest speakers, etc.
Leadership: To develop a global citizenship mindset, students will be encouraged to give back to the school and to the community by pursuing leadership and volunteer opportunities.
The program aims to develop a capable, well rounded student armed with the skills necessary to be successful no mater what future endeavour they choose to pursue. As Enhanced students, you are the trailblazers; you are the leaders.
LEARNING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
The Enhanced students are given several opportunities each year to extend their learning by making connection to real-world issues and experiences. You may visit several locations in and around the Waterloo Region/participate in events including:
- Chicopee Ski Club and Camp Ki-Wa-Y for team building
- The Perimeter Institute (The Centre for Theoretical Physics) for extending growth and development in Science and Technology
- The University of Waterloo to tour environmental building and rock museum
- The Princess Cinema for building visual literacy and oral comprehension in French
- Francophone cultural experiences to develop global citizenship and cultural awareness
- Théâtre Français in Toronto to experience Franco-Ontarian culture and heritage.
- The Stratford Festival to expose students to live theatre, costume design, music, dramatization, and communication.
- Contests recognizing outstanding achievements include the Discours Oratoire, DELF
- University of Waterloo Math Contests/Computer Contests (Cayley, Fermat, Pascal, Euclid, etc.).
- OSLC – Leadership Conferences – competitions bringing students from all over South Western Ontario to participate and compete in various settings.
For further information, please contact Mr. Donkers (Enhanced Program Chair; Department Head of Science).