PHS Enhanced Program
OPENING THE DOORS TO YOUR FUTURE
We offer an exciting and distinctive approach to learning which focuses on academic diversity and excellence in all areas of student life.
We emphasize the following the 21st Century Competencies in the core subjects:
- Problem Solving & Critical Thinking
- Innovation & Creativity
- Learning To Learn
- Global Citizenship
These skills will be further developed through a variety of enhancements such as field trips, leadership workshops, contests, conferences, service & volunteerism — all enriching your high school experience.
With like-minded students you will:
- Compete in math contests
- Achieve proficiency in French language (diplome en francais, langue seconde, DELF)
- Interact with leaders in science and technology community
- Have the opportunity to pursue Advanced Placement (AP) credits
- Lead extra-curricular initiatives
- Collaborate with the greater PHS community
By providing challenging academics, developing creativity and encouraging out-of-the-box thinking, in the Enhanced program, you will collaborate with like-minded students to investigate, explore, and excel, taking risks and developing advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills.
Start to prepare now!
Both of the forms below must be completed for application to the Enhanced program. Students are required to complete their Self-Assessment and their Portfolio. A Grade 8 teacher must complete the Teacher Reference form online.
FAQ’s about the Enhanced Program (includes dates/ application timelines to remember)
WHY CHOOSE PHS ENHANCED?
Along with development in the core skill-related areas, the program is split into different components:
- Credit Accumulation
- Workshop Participation
These components will help to prepare your son/daughter for:
- Learning in today’s world.
- Post-secondary opportunities (university, college, scholarships).
- Stress, anxiety, and time management.
- A growth mindset.
Credit Accumulation: We offer Enhanced Credits in the following subjects:
|Grade 9||Grade 10||Grade 11||Grade 12|
Workshop Participation: Students in the Enhanced Program will participate in workshops designed to develop 21st century competencies. Workshops occur about once a semester. Topic include exam preparation, stress/anxiety management, problem solving, guest speakers, etc.
Service/Volunteerism: To develop a global citizenship mindset, students will be required to give back to the school and to the community in their senior years. Examples of this may be participating with the homework help room, running workshops for the junior students/feeder schools, etc.
The program aims to develop a capable, well rounded student armed with the skills necessary to be successful no mater what future endeavour they choose to pursue. As Enhanced students, you are the trailblazers; you are the leaders.
LEARN OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM
The Enhanced students are given several opportunities each year to extend their learning by making connection to real-world issues and experiences. You may visit several locations in and around the Waterloo Region/participate in events including:
- Chicopee Ski Club and Camp Ki-Wa-Y for team building
- The Perimeter Institute (The Centre for Theoretical Physics) for extending growth and development in Science and Technology
- The University of Waterloo to tour environmental building and rock museum
- The Princess Cinema for building visual literacy and oral comprehension in French
- The Stratford Festival to expose students to live theatre, costume design, music, dramatization, and communication.
- Contests recognizing outstanding achievements include the Discours Oratoire, DELF
- University of Waterloo Math Contests/Computer Contests (Cayley, Fermat, Pascal, Euclid, etc.).
- OSLC – Leadership Conferences – competitions bringing students from all over South Western Ontario to participate and compete in various settings.
For further information, please contact any of the following staff at 519-653-2367:
- Mme. Robinson (Department Head of Languages)
- Mr. Haddaway (Department Head of Math)
- Mrs. Cove-Shannon (Guidance Councillor)
- Mr. Donkers (Enhanced Program Chair; Department Head of Science)