Welcome to the Business Department!
The business department offers a wide range of courses for you to take during your time at Preston High School. Our courses are all built on the belief that effective learning in business is based on the development of knowledge and skills in the following critical areas: communication in a digital environment, financial literacy, ethical, moral and legal considerations and business skills suited to your interests. Engaging and hands on learning are emphasized in our courses
All business courses at PHS provide students with the opportunity to develop and enrich themselves in a variety of real world skills such as; problem solving. Leadership, employability, teamwork, social responsibility, conflict resolution and global awareness to name a few.
Courses and curriculum documents
Grade 9 Course
BEM1OI – Building the Entrepreneurial Mindset – NEW FOR 2024-2025, replaces BTT1OI
- Are you interested in a future in business in an ever changing world?!? Then this course is for you, here students will learn what makes an entrepreneur thrive and the skills required to succeed in today’s business environment.
- In this hands-on course will learn and use a variety of business software and apps to bring your entrepreneurial ideas to life as you communicate with your target audience
- Students will learn how to merge the skills needed for an entrepreneur and software and how to bring their entrepreneurial ideas to life.
- Students your communication skills will sharpen, your project management skills will transform, and you’ll level up your time management, goal-setting, and networking skills.
- Get ready to be a Chromebook master with BEM1OI! You’ll be unlocking all sorts of skills that’ll help you tackle different subjects with ease, leading to even more academic success. The software skills learned will also set you up for entrepreneurial success down the road!
Grade 10 Course
BEP2OI – Launching and Leading a Business – NEW FOR 2024-2025, replaces BBI2OI
- Ready to rock the world of business? This foundation course is your golden ticket to exploring the ins and outs of finance, marketing, accounting, entrepreneurship, leadership, personal finance, international business, and so much more.
- Emphasis is placed on fun and interactive hands-on activities which could include the Cookie Challenge competition, STAX! Investment Game Competition, Block Building Challenge, guest speakers and field trips
- As you dive into this thrilling world, you’ll gain leadership skills and confidence that’ll set you up for success in all areas of business studies AND in our future courses
Grade 11 Courses
BAF3MI – Financial Accounting Fundamentals
BDI3CI – Entrepreneurship
BMI3CI – Marketing
CLU3MI – Understanding Canadian Law
Grade 12 Courses
BAT4MI – Financial Accounting Principles
BOH4MI – Business Leadership Management
CLN4UI – Canadian and International Law
Read course descriptions under Business Studies, for law descriptions see Canadian Studies
Extra Opportunities in Business Studies
Business Certificate – Earn this Certificate by completing a minimum of five Business Courses; a great addition to any resume package and post-secondary application.
DECA – DECA provides students with hands-on experience in the fields of business, marketing, and entrepreneurship. The classroom experience is enhanced by DECA providing conferences and competitions that develop leadership, communication, and networking skills. Any high school student at PHS is welcome to join DECA. Previous experience is not required!
Field Trips – We provide multiple opportunities for students to apply what they have learned in class and see it in the real world. Trips could include the Preston Walking Tour, Court House Visits and a Marketing Seminar at Wonderland to name a few.
Q: I am in Grade 10 and I am interested in a Grade 11 course, can I take one in Grade 10?
A: Absolutely! There are no prerequisites for our Grade 11 courses, many students reach ahead. Just be sure to meet all your graduating requirements if you take a course a year early!
Q: Where do I find information for the Business Certificate?
A: Each business teacher teaching a Grade 12 course will post the application on their website at the end of each semester. As well, in May announcements will be made in the school reminding any student who may qualify for this to fill in the application
Q: I did DECA, does this count for the Business Certificate?
A: Yes! Two years of DECA is the equivalent of a business course, so go ahead and apply!
Q: Does the business department have any scholarships and how do I apply?
A: Fill out the Business Certificate Application. There are questions on there that directly relate to our awards.
Q: Which courses have a Financial Literacy Component?
A: Students will learn a variety of Financial Literacy components such as budgeting, importance of credit, life finances (i.e. Mortgages) and the importance of saving and investing in BBI1OI/2OI. Students will learn about the stock market and investing in more detail in our accounting classes, BAF3MI and BAT4MI. Many concepts learned in those courses can correlate directly to personal finance.
Mr. Jones email@example.com Department Head
Ms. De La Franier firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Eason email@example.com
Ms. Kelly firstname.lastname@example.org