- 1REGISTRATION for Summer School 2023 begins in April
- 1.1SUMMER SCHOOL FORMAT:
- 1.2WHAT TO EXPECT:
- 1.3COURSE OFFERING LIST 2022 (will be updated in April 2023)
- 1.4SUMMER SCHOOL REGISTRATION
- 1.5LOG IN INFORMATION FOR A WRDSB COURSE:
- 1.6LOG IN INFORMATION FOR A COURSE WITH ANOTHER SCHOOL BOARD:
- 1.7SUMMER SCHOOL COOP (Registration for Summer School Coop will close by mid April 2023 because the course starts in May on the weekends). Dates will be updated as we get them; please refer to 2022 dates below for planning purposes.
REGISTRATION for Summer School 2023 begins in April
SUMMER SCHOOL FORMAT:
- The Continuing Education Department will offer a Summer School eLearning Credit Program for WRDSB secondary students, between July 4 and July 28 (dates will be confirmed in April) .
All courses will be FULLY ONLINE and will include all subject areas from Grades 9 to 12 with a focus on the compulsory courses. All courses will be offered online and require students to engage in both synchronous and asynchronous learning throughout the entire month.
- Here is the link to the WRDSB Summer School Site
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Students should be aware that summer e-learning courses require DAILY participation
Students can expect approx. 6 hours of online work per day
Failure to login/participate daily may result in your removal from the course
- There will be assignments, deadlines, potential tests, etc.
- Students may be registered with a different school board in Ontario
A note for all regarding Summer School Courses:
- A student logging in to the Virtual Learning Environment WILL NOT see their summer school classes loaded there until the assigned classroom teacher chooses to make their class Active. This is up to the teacher when they do that to give students access to it, and while it can happen before the first day, a teacher may not activate it until that morning. Students should not stress if they don’t see their summer school classes online prior to the first day of classes starting – if they have an enrollment notification from PRISM and are showing as enrolled in PRISM on your end, everyone should feel confident that the course will show up by the start of the class
COURSE OFFERING LIST 2022 (will be updated in April 2023)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the Summer School Courses offered.
- Courses will only run if there is sufficient enrollment. Students/parents/legal guardians will be notified by email if the course they registered for is cancelled.
SUMMER SCHOOL REGISTRATION
- Students must fill in this PHS Summer School Registration 2022 survey in order for their PHS Guidance Counsellor to register them in Summer School. There will be an automatic email sent to the student on their WRDSB student email account when the guidance counsellor has registered them. Please watch for this to know that you have been registered. You will see the word PRISM on the email.
- “Waitlisted” email: at the time of registration, you may receive an email to say you have been added to the waitlist. New sections of courses will be added when there is a demand. If you are still on a waitlist at the end of May, your guidance counsellor will contact you to discuss options i.e. taking the course with a different school board. Continue to check your school email as another email will be sent out when you are moved from a “waitlist” to being on the “class list”, which means you are now registered in the course.
LOG IN INFORMATION FOR A WRDSB COURSE:
- Go to https://wrdsb.elearningontario.ca/ and login with your WRDSB Gmail address and password. Look for the heading “My Courses” widget (box) to see your summer school class listed
- Also under the “My Courses” widget, look for the “Summer School Orientation for Secondary Students” link. This orientation is a collection of short demonstration videos and other resources to support students in being successful if they need help navigating the platform.
LOG IN INFORMATION FOR A COURSE WITH ANOTHER SCHOOL BOARD:
- WRDSB students taking an eLearning course with another board can access their course via the WRDSB VLE/D2L still. They login with their WRDSB Gmail address and password to https://wrdsb.elearningontario.ca/.
- On the WRDSB homepage, students will see a widget (box) for “My Courses” – these are the classes they have with the WRDSB. They do not have a course with the WRDSB. Therefore….
- The next step is that students have to scroll down, just beneath that they will see another box that says “My Courses in Other Orgs” – they should see any courses they are enrolled in from another school board there, and clicking it will take them right into the course from another board.
- Each board runs their startup their own way, but will generally email the student on their WRDSB Gmail account (and often their parent/guardian) instructions and details about what this looks like and what to expect. Different boards have different start and end dates.
SUMMER SCHOOL COOP (Registration for Summer School Coop will close by mid April 2023 because the course starts in May on the weekends). Dates will be updated as we get them; please refer to 2022 dates below for planning purposes.
- There is a Summer School 2-credit Coop program available. Students start this credit in May and June on weekends completing the pre-employment portion of the credit. An in- person cooperative education placement is found for the month of July, full days (in order to get all of the hours needed to grant 2 credits).
- It may be a good choice for a student registered in the SHSM Sports or the SHSM Manufacturing course at PHS, who feels they can’t fit in coop during the school year because of the other courses they wish to take in Grade 11 or in grade 12.
- MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & DATES (Placements June 29-July 28)1) Co-op Orientation:
- Saturday May 7, 2022 (8:30 – 4:30)
2) Co-op Pre-Placement:
- Saturday May 28, 2022 (8:30 – 4:30)
- Saturday June 4, 2022 (8:30 – 4:30)
- Saturday June 11, 2022 (8:30 – 4:30)
- Saturday June 18, 2022 (8:30 – 4:30)
- Saturday June 25, 2022 (8:30 – 2:30 – all synchronous/asynchronous)
- For the dates listed above:
- 8:30 – 3:00 are a combination of synchronous and asynchronous
- 3:00 – 4:30 student work asynchronously and independently
3) Registration for this 2-credit Coop program. Please fill out the PHS Summer School Registration 2022 form BEFORE April 21st.
Your guidance counsellor must fill out a separate google form to register you in this specialized program. This information is sent to the WRDSB therefore it will be difficult to register for this program after the deadline date. You will discuss the type of work placement you want with your coop teacher during the Orientation and Pre-Placement Dates. Transportation to the placement will be your own cost.
Who is my Guidance Counsellor?
|Your last name begins with:||Your Guidance Counsellor is:|
|A, B, C, D, E, F, G & W, X, Y, Z||
|H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O||
|P, Q, R, U, V||Ms. Bauer|