PHS Sports SHSM
A Specialist High Skills Major lets students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM’s seal on their diploma when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student’s selected field
- participate in a Reach-Ahead activity and Career exploration activity
- complete 3 additional certificates in a variety of areas, such as event planning, working with individuals with disabilities, instructor certification, and leadership skills
- participate in a Sector Partnered Conceptualized Learning experience with a community partner in the sport economic sector
What students are eligible for the SHSM in Sports?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are:
- heading for an apprenticeship, training, college, university or the workplace.
- wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
Students have the opportunity to:
- Gain important skills such as Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurial training on the job with actual employers through Co-op, skills training centres, and school
- Earn valuable certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications, and National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Certificates,
- Participate in a variety of hands-on experiential programs in the Sport sector including professional sports experiences, career forums, and leadership programs
When should students register for this program?
Grade 11 is the time to start, new participants can sign up in Grade 12 as well. See your guidance counsellor to create a plan when in Grade 10. There are many components of SHSM. Take PLF4MI and Coop in your Grade 11 or 12 high school year. Expect that your coop placement will be in a Sports related career field.