Sports Specialist High Skills Major
PHS Sports SHSM
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM’s seal on their diploma when they
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student’s selected field
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job with employers.
Who Is It For?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are:
- heading for an apprenticeship, training, college, university or the workplace.
- wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
Students have the opportunity to:
- Gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school
- Earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications
When Do I Start It?
Grade 11 is the time to start. See your guidance counsellor to create a plan when in Grade 10. There are many components of SHSM. Take PLF4MI and Coop in your Grade 11 high school year. Expect that your coop placement will be in a Sports related career field.