Pathways after PHS
My Panther Pathway to Post Secondary
This My Panther Pathway handout will take you through first steps of a career search with easy links to follow.
Click here for information about OYAP (the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program)
Key sites to figure out if your would like the skilled trades industry:
Ellis Chart A comparative chart of training programs
PHS Guidance brings in an Apprenticeship Speaker for a lunchtime session each fall. View Date
To start your College Search go to this website: www.ontariocolleges.ca
1. Click Programs and put a Keyword in the search box.
2. Once you find a program you are interested in, click the Website button which will take you directly to the College Campus Program site. Look for Admission Requirements.
For direct contact with College Representatives attend the College Information Program at Conestoga College in Oct.
To apply to college go to: ontariocolleges.ca and click the Apply button at the top of the page; students create their own password for their application.
For a tutorial on how to apply to college click here.
College checklist 2018-2019 (Apply by February 1, 2020)
Each College outlines Contact Information of Reps, Upcoming Events, Admission and Deferral Policy Information, Alternate Offers, Scholarship and Financial Information and a Section on what is new on the campus. It is published yearly.
University Search (prerequisites, grades)
To start your University Search go to: http://www.electronicinfo.ca
- Put the word “video” in the top right search bar.
- Click “How-to-Use-eINFO” video
- This video highlights the variety of information found on this site.
- Click “Programs that interest you”
- Under heading“Browse by Category” see all topics that can be studied at university.
- Under “Find a Program” add a Keyword to Search for a specific program; remember to try different key words business / commerce
- This site lists Program Grade Ranges and Grade 12 Prerequisite Course Requirements.
- Turn on the Advanced Search button to narrow your search.
To apply to university go to: Ontario University Application Center at www.ouac.on.ca.
Here you will find:
If there are still spots available in programs for the coming September
University applicants and their parents are encouraged to go to the University Information Program (UIP) to gather information about programs.
2018-2019 Checklist for University (Apply by January 16, 2019)
Which application do I use for a Collaborative Program, earning a degree but going to a college campus? Find out by viewing this link.
Each University outlines Contact Information of Reps, Upcoming Events, Admission and Deferral Policy Information, Alternate Offers, Scholarship and Financial Information and a Section on what is new on the campus. It is published yearly.
College and University Events to attend
For University information outside of Ontario:
An Employment Center for Youth! Free Resources and Help!
Both Employment Centers expect Walk-In’s. Simply go to the employment centers and ask to speak to an Employment Advisor. Let them know what help you need. (looking for a job, need a resume, need copies of your resume, tips on interview skills, coaching to get you motivated to look for a job)
CAMBRIDGE Hours: 8:30-4:30 M-F Wed 8:30-6:00 p.m.
Cambridge Career Connections 40 Ainslie Street South Cambridge, ON N1R 3K1 Tel.: 519-622-0815
KITCHENER-WATERLOO Hours: 8:30-5:00 M-F Tues 8:30-7:00 p.m.
Lutherwood Youth Employment Centre 165 Kings St. E., 2nd Floor Kitchener, ON N2G 2K8 Tel.: 519-743-2460
PHS Guidance brings in an Employment Center Speaker for a lunchtime session about job searching. View Date
Planning to take a year off – My Gap Year -before going to Post Secondary School? What will you do?
Travel? Go on an Exchange? Volunteer?